Thursday, September 20, 2007

An Interesting Article

“The word comics is laden with so many negative connotations, while the words ‘graphic novel’ give it a certain cachet,” Paul Gravett.


After our discussion in class today I was interested in seeing if I could find a few example of Chris Ware's "Building Stories." While performing my search, I ran across this article in the New York Times, entitled "Britain Embraces the Graphic Novel." It has a great deal of interesting insights into the popularity of the graphic novel in Britain and else where.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/05/books/05comi.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Quote taken from the above article:
"Britain Embraces the Graphic Novel" By Tara Mulholland
Published: September 5, 2007 New York Times

1 comment:

Benjamin said...

That's an interesting article, especially when you consider English graphic novelist Alan Moore and all his work ("Watchmen," "V for Vendetta," etc). I'm surprised he wasn't mentioned in the article ... I would have to think that he played a large part in changing attitudes in his home country (especially with the recent success of the movie "V for Vendetta").